Saturday, February 15, 2014

And little Lamb Chop Arrived.

Well, It was Friday night, Valentines, and I got a message: "Transport Tomorrow, Can you do it? They changed it from March to tomorrow!" (This is what I am talking about when I say transporters need to be ready to be flexible). After double checking a few things i confirmed that I could, and we then thought this would be a great opportunity to provide some "replacement training" to a prospective transporter who had volunteered to help out. I contacted him and after a few emails we agreed to meet at the airport around 1 in the afternoon.

The next morning I woke up, finished prepping for the transport: Jug of water, dish, blankets, leashes, crate (freshly Cloroxed), gloves (just in case) etc etc... Good to go!  And then around 11 I got a text: Flight delayed, possibly canceled. Crud! I notified Jarret, (the new transporter) and let him know we were now on "wobble time" which meant we had no clue what was going on.

Waiting and waiting... and checking and soon news came down that the flight would be there at 4. At 2:30 Jarret checked to make sure we were still on for the same time and I double checked. NOPE! Flight might be early. I replied that he needed to roll, now. Especially since it would take him an hour to get here, and we had less than an hour. Oops!

 I made it to the airport just in time. The plane landed and we were called to the tarmac. I called Jarret and told him to come straight to the tarmac and we'd be unloading. Jarret arrived just as I was handed the tiny crate. Inside lay a tiny white ball, Lamb Chop.

She was tiny, and yet absolutely squished in the little crate. I opened the lid and lifted her from the crate. she let out a tired little puppy lawn. Jarret came across the tarmac and I introduced him to our new youngest member of TDL.

I quickly gave him the most basic version of transport. Holding up Lamb Chop I stated "This is the most important thing you pick up on transport, make sure you get the right one."  I then held up her papers, "This is the second most important thing to get on transport. Don't forget their papers." He smiled and We quickly snapped some pictures.

We then collected ourselves and rolled off the Tarmac. We had paused out front to set the game plan for getting to G's and suddenly a man who worked for the airport came sprinting out. He stated "you forgot a dog!" Jarret looked at me and I shook my head "no, we only have the one puppy." He stated there was a dog and asked me to come back out, so I left Jarret with Lamb Chop and walked back out to the tarmac. They showed me to a little old mixed breed girl who was in a crate, clinging to the ground. I confirmed she wasn't ours and we crossed our fingers that her rescue or adopter would be there soon.... I still don't know what her outcome was but I hope she is now in her forever home.

We got on the road and little Lamb Chop got vocal about her feelings about traveling again and then in true puppy style, quickly passed out and quietly snored. When we got to G's everyone had to love on the puppy. We sat on the couch with her, cuddled Lamb Chop, and talked about what it takes to transport. Knowing what sicknesses like Parvo look like. Being prepared for anything like having gloves in the car, ready if a pup has mange. How to deal with flight risks etc etc... It was a great time, awesome to meet a new transporter, and a pleasure to get to love on little Lamb Chop and deliver her to her future.

No comments:

Post a Comment