Sunday, December 5, 2010

My First Ride as a Transporter for Dog Liberator

So on Friday I read a post from my favorite dog rescue, Dog Liberator which simply said "we need dogs transported from Orlando to Clearwater if anyone is free!!!!" After following the rescue for over 4 months, I decided to post that I was off if anyone needed me.

The next morning just after 12 noon, I received  an email saying that they needed transport for two of their new guys, Sugar Ray and  Johnny Ray and I would be their driver. I was excited and with in moments of getting the email, brushed my hair, grabbed some road food (muffins, cashews, cookies and soda (stable food and sugar/caffeine)), quickly converted the car (a Subaru wagon) from "family mode" to "haulin mode", and hopped into the car. Within a little over an hour I was meeting with Gisele, her pack, and meeting the boys who I'd be spending the next 3 hours with.

First I met little Johnny Ray. As he walked out of the house he got low, wiggling and promptly velcroed himself to me as I knelt to get on his level. He placed his paws on my knee and I patted him, rubbing his ears and stroking his bony little back. He's pretty skinny but some good meals will fix it in no time. He's a little skiddish and very eager to please. When it was his turn to get into the car he was more then willing and settled right in.

Next I met Sugar Ray who was calm and cheerful even when he met me for the first time. He simply sniffed my hand, wagged his tail, and was ready to hop in the car. He's a big fluff ball right now but he's gonna be one big gentle giant, even when groomed.

We said our goodbyes and were off on our journey. As we drove along, both of my furry friend settled down for the ride. Occasionally I would glance in the rear-view mirror to see who was awake and who was resting. Johnny Ray was often awake, and waiting for me to meet his eyes in the mirror. When I did I'd hear his little tail thumping against his crate happily.

When we arrived at their new foster home it was apparent that they were a little confused about where they were so I stood by the car and talked to them for a bit.  Sugar Ray perked up pretty quickly but Johnny seemed a little concerned about all the new scents and pressed his head against the cage door, encouraging me to reassure him about this new place, and so I did.

Sugar Ray was the first to meet the new foster pack and did very well, calmly greeting each member and wagging tails. Johnny Ray was next and was a little intimidated by his new family. He would sniff a few tails, then retreat back to my hip or his new foster Daddy's side and try to place his paws on our side. We worked on teaching him to sit beside us instead, and within a few moments he was ready to meet a few more people.

I had the chance to meet some awesome dogs who are looking for a good home. The first was Miami who is a quiet, sweet little girl who just needs someone to love. She just stood quietly by me and wagged, waiting for me to pet her. When I failed to do so soon enough she gently bumped my hand with her nose and gave a little lick.  She is a Beautiful girl and will make some lucky owner a great partner.


And then there was Star, who is just a loving little ball of energy. She was running around, playing with anyone who would give her the time of day. She is a little spit-fire and just seems to love life and most definitely intends to make the best of every second of it.

By the time I left, the whole pack, including Sugar Ray and Johnny Ray, were running around the yard, tails wagging, playing follow the leader (and in Star's case, drag the follower by their leash.)

I was told I'd done them a great favor by driving these two little boys to their new foster home because it made room for two new little border collie pups, one with a broken leg, the other deaf. Really, I should be thanking them for the privilege of meeting these inspirational dogs, all of whom have face hard times, whether it is a lack of food, abuse, abandonment, or never even having a home yet each  has found it in their heart to trust again and love again despite such adversity.

Today was such a blessing!

P.S.: This is a banner I am slowly making. Right now it only has 2 patches but there will be more.

I can't wait to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment